On November 12, 2019, the salmon committee of the MCC submitted a letter to the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau detailing Pacific mandate priorities.
Key components of the mandate are detailed below:
- Review and update DFO management structures and processes to account for unprecedented low returns, increasing climate change impacts, and implementation of First Nations co-management
- Restore stock assessment capacity, including spawning ground counts, to advance in-season stock identification tools
- Implement the restored habitat protection provisions and new rebuilding requirements under the Fisheries Act
- Develop emergency recovery strategies for salmon Conservation Units identified as threatened or endangered
- Complete comprehensive, peer-reviewed biological risk assessments of salmonid hatchery facilities, and make this an ongoing requirement under the new Aquaculture Act